Friday, October 29, 2010

Bear Paw 2010


 Welcome to Bear Paw 2010
I got a great opportunity to go to a Spinning Retreat
in Newport, Washington!

It turns out that with all this traveling that I do,
I had earned enough miles to fly for free! 
(well for a $10 fee...)

When I arrived, I met some of the most famous
Fiber Gals in the world!

Many of them get credit for the amazing fibers
used in the Most Amazing Sweater Ever (updates to follow...)


We had a blast! 
And the only complaint I had was there wasn't near enough time! 
(Reit is the lovely lady on the far left in this photo!
She was great, and had some great advice 
about husbands and relationships...)

We all chipped in and knitted a scarf for the bear
out of lovely thrift store yarn that Sue (Tighe)
was kind enough to bring!
-hey the bear wasn't picky!


 So here we all are, From Left To Right:
Me (chrome64), Sue (Tighe), Brittany (Bohoknitterchic), 
Carrie (Craftypuppylover), Shannon (Sparkleshan), Kat (Atwhittzend), 
Jennifer (Desertgarden), and Kirsten (countingcoup).


Loook at all the Wheels!

 See, I'm even trying a spinning wheel, 
A Babe to be exact!
 Shannon (on the right) flew in from Connecticut!
We both got a bunch of attention just because
we flew all the way out there
just for a spinning retreat!

Loving on some Craftypuppylover fiber in person!

Getting lots and lots of attention as I try to corespin!
It was a crazy, prison like, feeling being stuck
to the spinning wheel. I couldn't get up until I was done.
I think that's one of the reasons that I love my
spindles so much! I could walk around the room and
see what everyone else was doing while I was spinning!

We even made it to Idaho, briefly,
after we missed the turn for Bear Paw!








And this was the Throw Down!
We all brought fibers in pink, white, and silver
and then we weighed what we brought,
mixed it all up, ran it through the picker (a.k.a death machine),
and then everyone got back the same amount they brought,
only all mixed up!

This was Sue #2 (only because Tighe was the first Sue we knew)
And she was loads of fun!
But she doesn't have a computer,
so she likely won't read this,
unless someone prints it out and takes it to her.
But she gave me her number
and said I could come stay with her anytime I'm in town!
YAY!
 She was veeeery excited about the throw down!

This is DesertGarden (Jennifer), Tighe (Sue), and Sue #2
with the above mentioned Death Machine.
It has Giant Death SPikes on it and is covered in warning signs.

You have to swing it back and forth with the 3inch iron death spikes
getting dangerously close to your chest 
and to the person on the other side!

See?
It still scares me just to look at these pictures!

Sue (Tighe) was a master at the Picker (it was her's after all)!

She also went home with a very special,
Texas Ebony Jenkins Kuchulu!
It was such a pretty little spindle!
(see pic of JQ with said spindle below!)

Oh and I managed to take a nice little family of Jenkins
to sell at Bear Paw!
It was so much fun to watch people's faces light up
when they saw them for the first time!

Sue #2 bought 2 for herself and a third for a friend!

Once Sue #2 saw the Amazing Sweater,
she was convinced that if she touched me
and my spindles then she would
"absorb the awesomeness"
and be able to spin instantly!
 She was also convinced that I would be able to teach
the ways of a top whorl spindle...
Well, all I can say is, it gave me a chance to spin
on a Bossie, which was cool,
and it was a very pretty spindle. 
But, alas, top whorls are just not for me!

And still, no magic was transferred...

And this is Jennifer (Gynnifer)
Who was so very excited to find
that I had brought some Jenkins Spindles to sell!
 

 JQ (JQKnits) is trying out Sue's new Kuchulu!



Carrie and Brittany were very sad when it was time to go.
:(


Now having met some of my favorite fiber artists on the webs,
wouldn't it be cool if we all cleaned out their etsy stores?
Here are links to each of their shops for easier shopping ability!
Have fun!