Sunday, July 25, 2010

Tour de Fleece - Days 21, 22, & 23

I met with a friend on Friday for our monthly Phat Fiber swap meet!
It's such a great game!!!
You can see her loot on the left and mine on the right.

She traded me the Wooliebullie Jack Sparrow braid!! YAY!

And the Zauberzeug Glow under Darklight Fiber!!

Spindipidy's Mermaid Bling

OK, now for the rescheduled Tour de Fleece Challenge Day!!!

I picked up this Schoppel Wolle Pencil roving at 
Haus of Yarn in Nashville this weekend.

50 grams Merino Wool

(Also, I find it funny that I'm buying German Wool in Tennessee...)

I started the timer when the leader yarn went through the orifice.
Spinning the single done after 1 hour, 26 seconds


Spun and Navajo plied after 1 hour, 21 minutes, 27 seconds


60 Yards total


And still weighing in at 50 grams


Then I weighed out 50 grams of other fibers
to spin on my spindles.

I tried to find rovings of the same consistency 
so that they would draft about the same as the previous wool.







With everything set up and ready for round 2,
I set the timer to count down from 1 hour, 21 minutes, 27 seconds

With 9 minutes and 32 seconds remaining,
I completed the pencil roving

I started the Jack Sparrow roving and here 
you can see how far I got before the timer stopped.

I'm taking a break for a little bit and then I'll start the timer
from the beginning and see how much longer it takes
for me to spin and ply the rest of this.

So we already know that the wheel is quicker, 
now the question is, how much quicker...